Roxbourne and the surrounding area were known as the ‘metro lands’. The Metropolitan Line (London Underground) was extended to, what is now North London, around the early 1930s to allow for city commuters to have easy access to fast and efficient transport into the capital, yet live in more affordable areas.
When the line was extended, Roxbourne and the surrounding areas were little more than fields and heathlands.
And this is exactly what happened. Apparently a Mr Nash began building the houses of the Roxbourne area around 1936 as demand for houses began to increase for this area, due to the close proximity to the Metropolitan line and the ease at which people could travel into London.
New hamlets began appearing around the new stations created along the Metropolitan line. The name Roxbourne was given to the area around where the school is today. It is thought that the word Roxbourne is derived from
Rox – a derision of the word Rook (the bird)
Bourne – meaning brook or stream
It was thought that this area had many rooks and was predominantly heath land. Roxbourne’s name evolved because of the rooks close by and the stream that runs through, what is now known as, Roxbourne Park.
It is also around this time that Roxbourne Primary School began its life as the foundations of the school began to be laid to complete the building that now houses our school. In the May of 1938 Roxbourne was completed and a ceremonial opening and dedication service heralded the opening of Roxbourne School.